Thursday, October 16, 2014

Adventures in October

Over the past couple of weeks as we have been making the transition into another hot summer I have been on some more amazing adventures, please enjoy!

On Sunday afternoons in my community, and all the surrounding communities, this is the time for all the men to go and play futbol (soccer).  Each week they play at a different field in a different community but this given week they were right next door in Santo Domingo so my host family and I decided to go crash the guys afternoon.  It was a very HOT afternoon in the sun but we stayed cool drinking terere and eating plenty of popsicles.  Here is a picture before and then another one of Junior enjoying his popsicle.   


 This is one of the local guys that is playing on the Yukyry Central team getting ready to check into the game.

Last week on Tuesday was one of the Saint days.  We have a lot of them here and different people and even families celebrate them in different ways.  For this given day my neighbor across the street invites all of the local children over and the men kill two cows and they divide up the meat so each child can go home with a plastic bag full of fresh meat.  At first I didn't really understand the link between killing two cows and the link to celebrating the saint but then when I saw how many people from all around showed up to collect free meat, which for some is much needed it was just amazing and a great way to give back to the community.  We had a couple of hours just hanging out while they were butchering the cows so we had fun playing in the field.  This was also one of our last cool days and now temperatures have been around one hundred.

Just posing for some photos!

The huge line of people that came (some from really far) to get a plastic bag of fresh meat.  They had some meat left over so I was also able to get some yummy fresh beef, can't really get any fresher than that!

Last Saturday I went to a part of the community that I had never visited before and went on a small hike down to this beautiful waterfall.  The hike itself was more like rock climbing but we made it and had a wonderful afternoon playing in the cool water!  I am looking forward to going here a bunch more this summer on those hot days when you need to cool down.

Some of the beautiful orchids that I found in the woods!

This is just slightly upstream in the creek and where they used to pump water back up the hill for drinking water.  

Above and below are just a few of the really cool plants that I found along our hike to the waterfall.




This week I have traveled back to my old training community and am helping train the new group of environmental volunteers (G-46) in agroforestry and tree ID here in Paraguay.  This weekend we will be in Asuncion celebrating G-40 (my sister G, I am G-43) which is the group that is getting ready to leave in the next few months so we will be celebrating all of their accomplishments and saying tearful goodbyes.  In just a couple of weeks I will be hosting long-field at my site so I will have four trainees and technical trainers/ language professors out to my site for four days where we will be working around my community, so that is my next big adventure, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment