Monday, November 18, 2013

The BIG Storm







Well this past week was full of classes getting us ready for the next few weeks.  In technical class we learned about environmental holidays and environmental camps we can hold with our community.  We also prepared and gave another lesson in the schools to 4-6 grades on camouflage and how animals can use it to both hide from predators as well as hide from their prey. Overall we had a great time and played the game camouflage which was fun because the student went and hid while one student (the predator) had to try and find them from the center of the field.  It was amazing to hear the amazing animal sound some of these kids can make and how creative they were with their hiding places.  This was the last time we are going to work in the schools during training so it was a great way to end the school work.  On Friday we also had to take our technical test (since we are already done with our of our technical lessons) with about half the questions being about trees of Paraguay and agroforestry systems and the entire group passed which was very exciting. 
This week we also had a lot of language class as we only have a few left in training.  They have mainly been getting us ready to visit our site and advancing our Spanish as much as possible as well as basic Guarani.  All of the volunteers that I have talked to have said that each community speaks a slightly different dialect so once we get out to site on our own (no longer having the option to speak English with our friends) we will pick it up very quickly.   I am really looking forward to this aspect because the best to learn the language is just complete immersion. 
On Friday we had a major storm system roll through town.  Luckily they let us of class early because we walk about 30 minutes down a dirt road to catch the public bus out on the main road and they wanted to make sure we got home before the storm hit.  All of Friday was about 105° (which is slowly becoming “normal”) and the humidity was through the roof so you can just image the storm building. Luckily I arrive home right before it began to rain.  I decided to just sit out on the covered porch with my mom and watch the storm come in (like I used to do with my dad growing up) and we watched the storm come in.  I was so excited because I love storms and I was telling my mom how I used to watch storms growing up but my mom, like many other Paraguayans, are scared of storms.  I have attached a video that you can see part of the storm with the high winds, hail, and thunder/ lighting. 
One thing I have learn about Paraguay is they have enormous electrical storms and the lighting here is like nothing we ever had in Missouri, it for sure makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck even if you are inside, sadly a lot of people here die every year due to lightning strikes (mainly people working out in the fields).  As the storm began full force my mom was just freaking out and I finally realized that she was just so worried about her children who were just getting out of work and Cesar (her son) drives a motorcycle and she was so worried about him trying to get home and her daughter Marcia getting home from her job on the bus.  By the time it was all said and done they both arrived home fine just a few hours late.  She was also so worried because 2 years ago they had a huge hail storm come through that destroyed the clay roofing tiles, and she was worried about that.  Also every room in our house leaks and I think that night I was the only one with a dry bed but we had pots and pans sat out everywhere.  As soon as the storm hit we lost electricity which was normal (it usually occurs on a daily basis) but we also lost water.  The storm lasted for a good couple of hours and many trees and branches came down.  Luckily I had my headlamp and that we have a gas stove so my mom just made a bunch of popcorn and tortillas for us to eat for dinner.  The storm was good because it all brought us together outside under the cover of the porch and we just talk for hours.  The electricity came on about 1 am the next morning and then we unfortunately didn’t get water back on until about 5 pm yesterday so we were without water for about 24 hours but we managed and it was kind of fun.  Now I realize that I can’t mess around with the storms here and just at the smallest bit of rain coming I better get to a house of some sort!  I hope you enjoy the video, it almost seemed like a hurricane (I have never been in a hurricane but that’s just what it reminded me of). 
The next couple of weeks are going to be very important weeks. On Wednesday we find out where we will be working and living for the next two years and then Friday we actually travel out to our site until the following Wednesday so we will arrive back just in time for Thanksgiving.  In order to get us excited about our site placement ceremony Wednesday in the morning we are going on a cultural excursion and my group is going to see a women’s artist group, the historical train museum (first train in South America) as well as a historical church.  So it should be a great time and we get back midafternoon just in time for our site placement ceremony.  So I will try and keep you all posted as much as possible since the next few weeks will be a very exciting time!
I have also posted pictures of my mom and the cake that she made for a little girl in the family celebrating her first communion.  My mom is evidently a major cake baker to help make a little extra money on the side and it was so fun to help her with it this time.  I have also uploaded pictures of us at the party.  One is with me and my host sister and friend Jennifer, the other is with my host mom, and Jennifer’s host sister and mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment