Friday, January 2, 2015

December in Paraguay

Well I have now been in site for more than a year, and it’s just so amazing how the time has flown by.  Since I am living in my own place this year for the holidays I have been able to do a lot more than I did last year to help celebrate.  This blog post just highlights some of the activities that I have been up to during December including garden harvests, my new summer classes for my students, and much more.  Enjoy!

Earlier this month we had a big celebration in the school where each of the students got their final report cards as well as the top student from each grade received another certificate.  My host niece Rocio received the top honor for 1st grade and many of my other students received this top honor.  This picture is of the oldest grade (9th) in our school which means they have “graduated” and then this fall will be starting to attend the coleigo located in a nearby community.  

Just one of the many wonderful pizzas that I am starting to get really good at making, and has turned into a Saturday night tradition, with wonderful leftovers for Sunday.  The best part is the homemade dough followed by all fresh veggies from my garden!

My crop of garlic and onions harvested from the garden.  I had never grown garlic before and I was surprised at how easy it is, just like onions.  Ever since I got back from my trip to the Pantanal my garden has gone through a complete overhaul but I am now enjoying these wonderful fresh veggies!  

A stunning sunset one evening from right behind my house, I am just constantly blown away at the beautiful colors of nature.  

This is the eco-bench that we made during long field practice that got a paint job thanks to my wonderful students.  This picture pretty much sums up the experience though using oil based paint with kids.  I told them to not get paint on their hands because it will stay on but of course they thought it would be fun to paint with their fingers so needless to say luckily I had paint thinner and that we had all put our clothes inside out to paint.  But we had a great time painting the bench and when we get another chance we will be adding some more colors to paint the different handprints.  

This summer I have started what we are calling summer camp.  It is a class that I have at my house twice a week during the morning hours where we divide our time between 4 subjects including healthy cooking, conservation, art, and English.  It gives the students a chance to get out of the house and time for the moms to get work done while the kids are occupied.  So far we have had a great time with each other and have done a lot of fun activities. 


This picture is of the kids during the art portion of the class where I asked them to draw a tree as a group.  They completely blew me out of the water from the roots and soil with worms and ants to the birds and fruit in the trees, I was just so impressed.  From there we went into the conservation aspect and came up with many benefits of trees.  By the end of the class we all had a better appreciation for trees and the many benefits they provide.  During the next few weeks we will be beginning to plant tree seeds to start our tree nursery project.  

A picture of my wonderful students in front of the tree they drew with the many benefits we came up with.  

Just a couple of photos of the sunflowers that I planted along and in front of my house which have just grown like crazy.  Many of them are over 10 feet tall and got to the point where the flower heads were falling over because they were so heavy.  They have become very popular in my community and many are asking for the seeds which I am currently in the process of collecting and drying right now.  


The weekend before Christmas I decided to have a baking day and invited some families from my community to participate.  Also this past month I have been able to welcome a new PCV, Annie, to San Roque (the community a couple of kilometers from me) to the area.  She is also a fellow environmental volunteer and just recently sworn in.  It has been such a great time to get to know her and can’t wait to see what fun activities we will be able to do together.  So since I decided to make Christmas cookies and goodies I decided to invited Annie over so we could make a day out of it.  So she came over early Saturday morning and we made a large assortment of cookies from fresh fudge, toffee, 4 types of cookies, and pudding. 

In the afternoon we invited some families over to try everything out and decorate sugar cookies that we had made up beforehand.  This sign on my chalk board is all of the different goodies we had to try with our clever names we had come up with in Spanish.   

The table with all of the goodies to try as well as fresh mango juice!

After they had a few minutes to try all of the sweets with the kids we made up some green frosting for the sugar cookies and then had a great time frosting all of the sugar cookies.  Each of the kids had a great time and loved icing the cookies but loved the sprinkles more, in the end though we all had a great afternoon of fun and each of the kids were able to go home with a plate full of fresh cookies.  It was just a great way to help share a little Christmas tradition from my house with them and we all had a wonderful time!

My new favorite Christmas cookies called Snowballs which are just basically a chocolate chip cookie rolled into balls, baked, and the rolled in powdered sugar.  Very easy to make and were a hit with my family and friends here!

Some of the wonderful bread that I have been making every week.  I have found that it is just easier to make two loaves and so have one for myself and one to give away.  Nothing beats a fresh loaf of bread!

My students during the English class playing Twister learning colors in English which has become a very popular game!

Our last class before Christmas during our art class we took some time to make Christmas cards for our families.  The kids had a great time and special thanks to everyone back home who sent art supplies, stickers, and construction paper we use them just about every class now!

No comments:

Post a Comment