Monday, July 21, 2014

Biodigestor Class: Training of Trainers

This week I had the opportunity to travel down to San Juan Bautista, Misiones to attend a class about biodigestors.  In order to be able to attend the conference we had to fill out an application and then go through a selection process.  For the class there were 6 PCVs and 6 Paraguayans that underwent the training.  I had worked a little bit with biodigestors when I was living/studying in Costa Rica a couple of years ago but the design here is very simple and intended to be used throughout Paraguay and especially in more rural areas using locally available materials, simple design, and low cost. 

On the first two days we were trained in theoretical and practical elements pertaining to the construction and maintenance of a low-cost biodigester, and were instructed on how to teach a day-long biodigester workshop. On the third day of the training session, we conducted the workshop for people from the community of Ysypo (Misiones), teaching the theory segments and constructing a biodigester. 

We stayed at a local agriculture school which is a publically run school that students apply to and is high school but they study everything related to agriculture.  They spend the mornings usually in the classroom but then every afternoon they work.  The school itself is a very large farm consisting of orchards, tree nursery, production ag with corn, soy beans, sugar cane, as well as many types of animals (cows, chickens, pigs, goats, sheet, rabbits).  I think this would be a great way to learn as a student and every two weeks they rotate around to learn about something new, one of the stations is also learning about making bread and other goodies in the kitchen.

Overall I had a FANTAISTC time learning about this wonderful technology that can use animal manure and in about three weeks can turn it into biogas to use for cooking as well as produces a substantial amount of great fertilizer that can be applied to just about anything.  Below you can see pictures and more information about our conference.

The first morning of class we spent the time learning the science and theory behind biodigestors.  We learned about different designs from all over the world as well as the design of Paraguay and why it was chosen.  We also talked about the science behind the system and how it all works which is very interesting to me and I am interested about studying more about this since we just talked about the basics.    In the afternoon we went out into the community to a family that is getting ready to install a biodigester and met with them and determined where the best location would be to place it.  

The next step was to lay out the basic dimensions and dig the trench that the plastic would sit in.  I was the only female being trained with another female volunteer teaching the class and Paraguay is a very machismo society so we both tried to work our hardest and using the traditionally “manly tools” to show that we can work just as hard as they can. 

Did you know that you can use a clear water hose as a level?  Well I didn’t and my mind was just blown even though now thinking about it, it makes total sense.  When you are building a biodigester it is very important that everything is level because you have to form the siphon that makes in an anaerobic (without oxygen) system.  So we used a clear water hose to make a level line across the trench that we then used to measure off of.  I was just so impressed by this and to me it seemed so much easier than using a level, especially over a long distance like this (~10 meters).


Once we got the trench dug and everything level we then went back to the agriculture school where we were staying to look at the biodigester that was just recently put in there.  So with their system they used pig manure (which with the biodigester you can only use 1 type of animal manures due to the bacteria) and are just now starting to get out good fertilizer and biogas (since it takes a few weeks to get started).

 The biodigester was located right next to the pigs so it was fun to be able to go around and look at all of the baby piglets.

 This is a picture of the stove that is connected to the biogas line coming out the biodigester.  They said that when it is up and running people should be able to get 2-4 hours of fuel every day, which obviously depends on a lot of different factors but in general.

The next morning we got up and went to another site where the trench had already been dug as well as a fence and roof put up over it which is SUPER important to keep out animals, kids, and the strong Paraguayan sun!  This picture is of us cutting the bottom out of the barrels that you use for the entrance and exit.

 The guys just wanted their picture taken in the barrels before we put them in; they said next year they want to dress up for Halloween as a biodigester.

 Just a picture of us just trying to set the barrels using our level line and this is very important and exact process to get the siphon action just right later on.

 This is a picture of the three pieces of plastic that we used to put together to form the tube, two are polyethylene and the other is polyvinyl. 

In the afternoon we practiced cutting out the hole which needs to be made to form the gas line seal that comes out the top.  So we practiced cutting a hole in the three layers of plastic as well as with rubber (old tires) that we use to make the seal.



 This is a picture of my new favorite tool.  I don’t really know what the English word for it is but something along the lines of threader I think.  Anyway you take a PVC pipe and in order to connect it to a T or elbow joint you make the thread that it attaches into with.  I was just super impressed and I’m sure this exists in the US but I just don’t have much experience with PVC piping.  Also I have to say a quick shout out of thanks to my dad among others who have helped me learn how to use many different construction tools growing up and that came in very handy this week and the Paraguayan men seemed to be impressed that I actually knew what I was doing and was able to show them how to use different tools, THANKS DAD!

 On Friday morning we had about 10 different people show up for the class that we then taught about the basics of biodigesters.  During this time we were explaining how to set up the barrels.

 All of the new trainers that completed the course along with our three wonderful G40 trainers.  We had a great few days and I am so excited now to come back to my community and tell them about it and I hope they are as excited about it as I am!!!

 This picture is hard to see but right after we got our pictures taken we had a troop of monkeys that moved into the area and I was so excited because these are the first ones that I have seen in Paraguay, many volunteers have them in their sites but I don’t so it was great to see the monkeys and many of them had the cutest babies.

Am now back in site and gearing up for another busy week but also trying to enjoy the “winter vacation” before school starts back up next week.  My birthday is also on Friday which just feels weird that it is winter vacations since my birthday usually occurs during summer break, but oh well I will have a great day I am sure.  My host family is so excited and we will be having an asado (BBQ) on Friday and I will be making a cake for myself, will try to post some pictures!  Also we have been here in Paraguay 10 months already, the time is flying by, I actually wish it would slow down a little bit since I am having so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment