Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Heat Wave in February!


Well the last few weeks have been very tranquillo here in my community.  Mainly due to the fact that it is too hot and no one wants to actually do anything.  Every day so far this month has been over 100 degrees!  My schedule pretty much just involves getting up early and going for about an hour walk in my community and just saying hello to everyone, coming back and sitting under the shade tree for the rest of the day with my host family.  I have also been spending some time on Google Earth looking at my community and how it has changed over the years, the last picture was taken in 2009 and even since then there have been a lot of changes.  I have also been working on getting my interviews ready so I can begin those over the next couple of weeks once I get PC to look over them and help me with my language.

I have an interview written up for the teachers at my school so I can see who is interested in working with me and what types of things they might be interested in me helping with.  My big project for this school year is going to be getting the school garden cleaned up and running again.  I also have another questionnaire that I will be going over with all of the students in my school to get to know them as well as to just get a baseline about what they might already know about the environment/conservation so then I can give them the same survey at the end of the year with the hopes that they learned something!  The last interview that I have been working on is for every house in my community which is called our community needs assessment to see what projects people are interested in and what environmental problems they see with their community and what they would like help with.  School will be starting for us around the 24th of this month if everything goes as planned and I am anticipating working in the school 2-3 days per week.  Also there is just one school in my community for everyone and have different classes in the morning and afternoon.  So if any of you teachers have any tips out there for teaching in a school let me know because not only have I never taught in a school before I will now be teaching in a different language, which I am a little bit nervous about.

The other excitement that I have had a couple of weeks ago right after my site presentation involved a wonderful little insect larva that decided to call the ball of my left foot home.  I am not all that familiar with all of the wonderful insects and such down here yet so for a few days it just looked like a blister so I was treating it as such.  Finally though I asked my host mom about it because it just didn’t look right and it began to hurt pretty bad.  She doesn’t have the best eye site for that sort of small object so she called her son over and he started freaking out about it telling me that it is pique (a sort of flea) that lays eggs in your foot and that usually they never get this big because they all know what to look for (small black dot) and they usually remove it before it gets too big.  I had to remind him that I am not familiar with such things and no one had ever told me about it.  He was too freaked out to try and remove it so we got the other older man that lives with us to take it out for me.  Fortunately after about ten minutes digging in my foot he was able to get it out but he used his knife that he carries with him every day to do everything with but he assured me he had cleaned it that day.  I was just amazed at the size of the flea larva and disgusted at the same time that it came out of my foot.  I took some pictures of it once it was out so you can see those below.  So now that I know what I am looking for I spend time every afternoon looking at my feet and getting rid of them before they burrow into my foot because I would prefer to not have to dig any more out.

Since we are in the middle of the summer right now we have had some beautiful flowers in bloom, which you can see below.  I have also begun to see many different flocks of birds that are on their migration including many different parrots.  Other than that it has just been very dry here and we have only really had one rain event the past few weeks where we had a strong storm come up and dropped a lot of rain very fast and then was gone again.  I have been enjoying everyone’s pictures of the snow and ice that you all have been getting at home.  I hope that you all have a wonderful week and happy valentine’s day! 


The wonderful larva I got out of my foot.


Some pictures of a wetland/grassland just outside of my community.





I think we might have a problem with erosion in my community.

A mother bird guarding her nest.


What all of the roads in my community look like most of the time about 6 in or so of very sandy soil, if I close my eyes and walk it feels like I'm on a beach just minus the cool breeze and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment