Monday, December 9, 2013

Time Marches On!

Well this past week has just been a whirl wind of activity, as has been the last ten weeks.  We started out the week spending time in the training center finishing up various classes as well as taking our final Safety/Security exam which everyone passed.  We also had to write up our own recommendation for service to swear in as a PC volunteer.  On Tuesday we spent the entire day in Asuncion trying to get all of our last minute paperwork taken care of and then got a tour of the PC office, learned about how we get paid, and other administrative activities.  At the end of the day we spent a couple of hours going over the policy/ procedure part of PC Paraguay and PC in general so we learned all of the things we can and can’t do which is important!  On Wednesday we spent our last day in the small school in our community where we took our final language exam as well as had fun making fruit salad which was a great break from the heat.  On Thursday I also found out that I passed my language exam which was such a huge relief since I had put a lot of work into it.  I still have a long way to go but I am so proud of myself to have learned the basics of two new languages.  In the afternoon on Wednesday we learned the “bad words” of Guarani not so we could say them but rather so we could recognize if someone was saying them to us and then what we should respond with.  Also we learned about texting in Spanish/Guarani which was super interesting but also a lot of work because I can barely text in English and then trying to text shorthand in 2 other languages was almost like code to me, but it was fun. 

On Thursday we had our long term bags picked up which means that I will not see those items for a few months until my boss comes out to visit my site.  When we arrived at the training center the staff and language professors had different activities set up.  So we were able to learn about and participate in different past times for example I learned how to do a craft similar to craft stitching that they use to decorate their shirts.  I also learned how to crochet which was a lot harder than it looked.  Another station was one where we could write letters to ourselves that they would keep with them for our two years and give to us at our close of service.  So it was great to just sit down for a little bit of time and reflect both on the last ten week as well as our future two years here in Paraguay.  I also was able to make a glass out of a glass bottle using just wire and an ice cold bath which was fun and a great present for my host family.  After we got to as many stations as we wanted we learned about our ongoing language training in our first three months in site and then had a carry in lunch.

In the afternoon it was time for our final/farewell to training.  So we started out the afternoon with our language teachers having a wonderful performance.  We learned all about Paraguayan music and dance and we have very talented teachers and they brought in a girl that plays the harp and it was just so beautiful!  We also learned the national anthem and happy birthday in Guarani.  We also had some wonderful dance performances by our technical trainers and a daughter of our Master Training.  All of our training staff, including our technical trainers, and amazing language trainers are so AMAZING!  After our musical and dancing training we moved into the skits and performances from the trainees so the technical trainers and three of the four communities (including my own) had wonderful and hilarious skits prepared.  They mostly were just about different aspects of the last ten weeks and it is amazing the talent we have in our group, especially comedy. 

After they all finished we did an amazing activity that I think should be done more and I hope to bring back home with me.  We all stood in a circle and ¼ at a time of the people stepped out of the circle and began walking around the circle.  The people in the circle had their eyes closed and then the person in charge started asking questions while the other smaller group was walking around.  If the saying could be related to the person you tapped them on the shoulder as you went around.  You also switched out so you were in the circle for ¾ of the time while the other ¼ you were the one giving the complements that were secretive.  There were about 50 different complements ranging from who is the best listener, someone who surprised you, your new friend, someone you can trust and count on, but all positive and really heartfelt.  It was just an amazing experience and by the end I was just in tears feeling all of the wonderful compliments that people placed upon me.  It is crazy that I have known these people for only just over two months and many of these people are my new family here in Paraguay and many will be my friends for life.  It is just such a unique experience to go through in PC and the relationships you built are so important and so strong.  It was also a bitter sweet day because it was one of the last times that we would all be together because over the next week we will be all going out to our separate sites and will not see them for about 4 months. 

On Friday we went back in Asuncion to get all of the last minute paperwork taken care of.  We had to fill out and sign all of the paper for our two year visas, sign paperwork to have a Paraguay identification card, received lockers in the main office, as well as got our bank cards and internet modems.  So it is finally starting to feel real that we will become official PC volunteers on Monday!  On Friday night we had our celebration with my family for me swearing in on Monday as well as leaving.  My family absolutely LOVED their gifts that I gave them and I also received a beautiful blue handmade shirt that is characteristic of Paraguay and just a perfect gift because they said it reminded them of my blue eyes.  I can honestly say that I am going to miss my new Paraguayan family SO MUCH.  They have helped me through this unique and fun experience of PC training, I am so sad to leave!  They also keep reminding me that I have to come back and visit them and especially bring my family.  They kept saying that they want to meet my family but to give my mom a heads up so she can start cooking, which she is phenomenal at.  Also last night we began to set up for Christmas so we have the artificial tree all ready to go and lights up on the house and then Saturday afternoon we spent most of the afternoon getting the huge nativity scene set up in the yard. 

On Saturday since I didn’t have any class I went with my parents to go and sell milk.  We went to Villarica which is about a twenty minute drive and we had a great time just going down the road and meeting their regular customers that come out to buy milk.  They sell it for 3 mil for 1 L which is about .70 cents.  Also it was fun to see all of the different containers that people bring out for their milk, most were just pots and pans and I freaked out when someone brought an old 5 L oil container but I guess for them it was normal and it had obviously been used for milk before, but I guess if that’s what you got!  After we had made many of our deliveries we went and picked up my adorable niece Mia from her mom’s house and we went to the “beach” for about 15 minutes.  The beach was actually a river on the eastern side of Paraguay and on the other side we could see Argentina.  We had a great time taking pictures and watching a barge head up river.  I also had to put my foot in the river and it was actually pretty warm water, which is guess was to be expected since it was about 100 degrees outside today!  I also got to go to the grocery store with my mom today which was a good experience but the stores didn’t have A/C and it seemed like everyone was at the grocery store, but I might as well get used to it!  On Saturday afternoon I just worked on getting the rest of my stuff packed up and got the last minute laundry done and out on the line. 

On Sunday my mom had many of our family members over to help celebrate the Virgin of Caacupe as well as a sort of kick off to Christmas.  I unfortunately was really sick on Sunday so I spent most of the day just sleeping and waking up for meals.  I was able though to get up in the evening when a bunch of neighbors came over and they did their prayer ceremony and then we had a bunch of wonderful food that my mom had practically spent all day making.  It seems like our training here has just flown by and everyone just keeps telling me that it just moves faster so I guess we shall find out!
 Some pictures from our wonderful music lesson!
 
 My wonderful training community and technical trainer, as well as our three wonderful language trainers!
 I made up some of the wonderful fudge brownies that my dad sent down and my family loved it!
 My sister and I working on making empanadas!
 Our finished product!
 My mom and I sitting in front of the newly decorated Christmas tree and below is a photo with my sister as well!
 
 My dad loved his present of a beer and new baseball hat!
 My mom and sister also loved their brand new shirts! 
 On Saturday I got up early with my parents to go and sell milk so they were retrieving the milk from the water cooler where they store the milk. 
 This is the river that separates Paraguay from Argentina and below is a picture of me with my niece Mia.
 
 The wonderfully large nativity that I helped my mom set up on the patio.  My favorite is the two HUGE frogs on either side.
Some of the wonderful food my mom made for everyone on Sunday with a fruit cake, an apple dessert, an empanada, and a piece of pizza!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment